Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass (Hex Hall #2) by Rachel Hawkins

Published: March 22d 2011
Publisher: Hyperion
Page Count: Hardcover, 359

Source: Library
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Find the Author: BlogGood ReadsTwitterTumblr

Buy This Book: 
Amazon
Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 
That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 
Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 
But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she? - Good Reads
***BIG, BIG WARNING! SPOILERS IN THE SUMMARY ABOVE! AND BELOW! DO NOT READ IT IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST BOOK OR YOU WILL BE VERY, VERY SORRY***

Yeah, I had to point that out because that summary totally spoiled me. While reading Hex Hall I became so excited to read the next book that I decided I needed to put Demonglass on hold, because getting a hold of a good book at my local library is like A SERIOUS COMPETITION. I'm third on the list for Shatter Me. Yeah, I thought I was ahead of the game last month pre-holding it before they even got it in. Hell to the no. Apparently two others beat me to it. Anyway, while putting it on hold the summary caught my eye and I read it. Big mistake. I had no idea that Sophie was a demon at that point and I was a little sad that I missed out on that big discovery.

The first book in this trilogy Hex Hall quickly became a serious favourite of mine. I think the biggest thing I loved about Hex Hall and Demonglass is that it's totally and completely my style of book. For a mixture of reasons:

#1. I love the main character Sophie. She's funny, she's irrational, she's rational, she's proud, but she knows when to give in and listen and she is incredibly smart. She's just a very, very lovable character to read and I love following her and watching her grow. And I felt she did quite a bit of growing and learning in Demonglass. 

#2. A lot of paranormal books have a darker vibe to them, which I like, but this series shocked me because it was so typical, yet so different. It felt light, but not light to the point where I couldn't take anything seriously and get emotionally involved or feel for the characters.

#3. The romance. Archer definitely falls into the studly and swoon-worthy category of fictional boys. I love that boy. 

There is a "love triangle", if you can call it that, in this book, but it's not your typical love triangle. I normally dislike love triangles because for some reason I always root for the boy who loses the girl. It's apparently a condition I have. In Demonglass though, the second guy isn't what you'd think - Sophie isn't running around London lusting after two different boys. She stays true to her original feelings, but the element of the love triangle is there and you'll see why if you continue into Demonglass. It's really not what you'd think though. I even think love triangle might be too strong of a definition because it sort of implies the wrong idea. 

RECOMMENDED TO
Anybody who loves a fun and interesting Young Adult Paranormal and a heroine that is fun to keep up with! 


BEST QUOTE

“Dad, she's just going to freak. And probably come here and get me, and then you guys will start yelling at each other, and I'll have to act out by wearing lots of eyeliner and doing drugs” 

                             5 out of 5 Hello Kitties!

9 comments

  1. Love that quote there...a little disturbing. I really want to get into this series...at some point I will =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Hex Hall a lot but for some reason I still haven't got this one. I think it's because I don't own Hex Hall I feel like I should get this from the library but I've been so busy with books I already have that I haven't even tried. But I do LOVE the cover so who knows, I might end up buying it just for that ;) Glad you loved it! It makes me feel really anxious to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to read this! I really enjoyed Hex Hall a few months ago. I'M glad there a good love triangle I should read it before I forget who's who :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It felt light, but not light to the point where I couldn't take anything seriously and get emotionally involved or feel for the characters."

    YES! That's exactly how I feel about this one. There's plenty of darkness, but it never feels heavy, and despite all her snark, Sophie is never a fluffy character:) Love this series so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad this one was so good too ! I really loved the first one and now I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read this!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Typical, but not? Hmm. That makes me very curious! I'm also intrigued by the dark-but-not-too-dark bit...I have a hard time with frothy paranormal, so was hesitate to read these, just because they give off that lighthearted vibe.

    Will investigate further, now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this series, can't wait for book 3!!! Thanks for sharing your opinion on it! (:

    Haley @ Ya-Aholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read book 1, then immediately bought book 2. Dying for 3! So glad you liked it too

    ReplyDelete