Friday, March 1, 2013

Review: The Thing About the Truth by Lauren Barnholdt

The Thing About the Truth by Lauren Barnholdt

Published: July 10th 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page Count: Hardcover, 304

Source: Bought
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Find the Author: WebsiteGood ReadsTwitterFacebook

Buy This Book: 
Amazon, Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf
In this humorous love story from the author of Two-Way Street, an unlikely romance is the best sort of surprise—but the wrong secret can ruin everything. Kelsey’s not going to let one mistake ruin her life. Sure, she got kicked out of prep school and all her old friends are shutting her out. But Kelsey’s focused on her future, and she’s determined to get back on track at Concordia High.
Isaac’s been kicked out of more schools than he can count. Since his father’s a state senator, Isaac’s life is under constant scrutiny—but Concordia High’s his last stop before boarding school, so Isaac’s hoping to fly under the radar and try to stay put for a change.
When Kelsey and Isaac meet, it’s anything but love at first sight. She thinks he’s an entitled brat, and he thinks she’s a stuck-up snob. So it surprises them both when they start to fall for each other. Kelsey’s happy for the first time in months, and Isaac’s never felt this way about anyone before...But nothing’s ever completely perfect. Everyone has secrets, and Isaac and Kelsey are no exceptions. These two may have fallen hard, but there’s one thing that can ruin it all: the truth. 

I read this book last summer and this review is long overdue. I've just been really bad about blogging because I've been flying and driving all over the world. My apologies! 


The Thing About The Truth threw me off at first, because it begins in the current time, hooks you, and then goes back in time, then jumps back to the current time and jumps back again and so on and so forth. Normally I would find this annoying, but for this novel, it really worked to tell the story in a very interesting way and I think it helped it shine more. 


The main character Kelsey was a realistically and brilliantly flawed teenage girl who made a mistake that made feel sorry for her and you watch her deal with the consequences of her lies, or omissions of the truth as it could be said. And Isaac was the real deal in the world of book boyfriends, he was definitely my cup of tea and I loved their romance! 

Overall, I loved this book. It was one of my favourite reads during the summer of 2012 and while it didn't keep me up all night itself, it did help me stay awake while my son, who was a newborn wanted me to stay up all night! Thank you, Lauren Barnholdt, I think you might have saved my life, for at least a night! 


Go forth and read this if you haven't and love Young Adult Contemporary! It's a good one! 



                                                                        5 out 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment