Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

The Catastrophic History of You and Me by Jess Rothenberg

Published: February 21'st 2012
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers
Page Count: Hardcover, 375

Source: ARC
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Find the Author: WebsiteGood ReadsTwitter, Blog

Buy This Book: 
Amazon, Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf
Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 
BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 
But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 
With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces? - Good Reads


There were many things that I loved about The Catastrophic History of You and Me and a few things that I didn't love so much. 

  • I loved that each new chapter was labelled with lyrics. It was fun getting to each new chapter and seeing if I could guess the song. 
  • I loved that the sections of the book were broken down with stages of emotional healing that the main character Brie was going through.
  • I loved Brie's family dog Hamloaf. I'm a sucker for animals, especially dogs and some of the scenes with Hamloaf even brought tears to my eyes, even though I wouldn't say I was particularly feeling very emotional in that way towards the story.
  • I really enjoyed the base of what the story was about. A girl who dies unexpectedly and then dealing with the after effects of getting past it. 


But there were a few things I didn't like as much about the book. Like, sometimes the humour seemed a little immature and could be too repetitive. The love interest of the book Patrick went a little too far for my taste with cheese nicknames for Brie. And Brie went too far with the "Your Mom" jokes. They're really only funny the first few times or on occasion, not as much as they were used in the book. The ending held a lot of surprises that I didn't see coming, so it explained a lot about little hints throughout the book, but I really wasn't feeling the relationship between Brie and Patrick. It lacked the spark that I was looking for. Towards the end though it improved, but even so, it felt too rushed slash quickly explained. 

Overall though, it was a good read. I was definitely kept interested and despite my love of series, it was nice to read something that ENDED and was wrapped up without having to wait another year to figure out what happens next. 



                                                3 out of 5 Hello Kitties




3 comments

  1. This is one of my favorite books of this year! I literally read it one sitting and cried my eyes out. haha. I loved everything you loved, and more. I don't remember there being too many jokes, but it's been awhile since I read this one. I teared up over that stupid dog, too! I really enjoyed Brie's journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Molli Thank you for commenting! I kind of had a hard time pushing through this one for some reason. Well, I had moments where I couldn't put it down and then I'd get distracted a little, but once I picked it back up it'd be the same thing all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been obssessed with this book ever since it came out but I haven't been able to get it yet! It looks soo good! But I'm going to tone down my expectations a little after reading your review, which I greatly appreciate. High expectations almost always tend to ruin books for me so Thank you! Great review!

    ReplyDelete