Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick 

Published: June 14th 2012
Publisher: Dial
Page Count: Hardcover, 395

Source: Bought
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Find the Author: WebsiteGood ReadsTwitterFacebook

Buy This Book: 
Amazon, Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf

A gorgeous debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another
“One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time.”
The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?
A dreamy summer read, full of characters who stay with you long after the story is over. - Good Reads

My Life Next Door and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight are two books that I read weeks ago, but are still running through my mind. Those books are my two favourite Young Adult contemporaries that I've read this year... and probably in my top favourites of all time. 

My Life Next Door has a wonderful cast, a wonderful plot and a very sweet and believable romance. Samantha is such a good character and her growth into her own person was reason enough to read the book. The decisions she is faced with are difficult. Friendships are evaluated and her relationship with her Mother, her lifestyle and all of that are really put to the test. It was just GOOD GOOD GOOD. Especially the romance. Jase is such a stud!

This is also the perfect time to read this... the big political subplot of the book fits right in with the US presidential election season (all those politics!) -- and on top of that it's perfect, because summer is ending and it helps those good summertime feelings last! And summertime romances are the BEST! 

Overall I really cannot recommend this book enough! Please read it! Really! Go, now! Buy it, check it out, etc! In fact, I already want to re-read it! I think I've found a new favourite author! I can't wait to see what Huntley Fitzpatrick writes next! 


                                             5 out of 5 Hello Kitties!

2 comments

  1. Aww, I'm so glad to see a positive review of this! I keep seeing it everywhere, and I really want to read it. And politics are kind of my guilty pleasure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book too! Such a great story with a great mix of romance, friendship, family, and drama all around. All of the characters were well-rounded, and everything felt so realistic! One of my favorite YA contemporaries.
    Great review! :)

    Oh, and Jase? Totally up there at the top of my book boyfriends list! ;D

    ReplyDelete