Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review: Boundless (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand

Boundless (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand

Published: January 22nd 2013
Publisher: Harper Collins
Page Count: Hardcover, 438

Source: Bought
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Find the Author: Good ReadsTwitterFacebookBlog

Buy This Book:  Amazon,
Book Depository
Add It To Your Good Reads Shelf
The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

Well, it's finally over. And I'm a little sad. Sad because it's over, and a little saddened by the ending. I'm going to try to keep this as spoiler free as I can, so I won't mention any names, but the way I phrase things might give away something, so read ahead at your own risk if you haven't read this book yet.

I have a few complaints about this final installment of the Unearthly series. For me the outcome of the love triangle wasn't very good, and I'm trying not to give spoilers away here, but I felt that Cynthia Hand spent a little too much time away from the one that the focus should have been on and there grew an attachment to another and then it seemed as if she just pulled the rug out from under me and it's like, "wait, who's THAT guy? And why does she care so much? Where is the connection? He hasn't even been there for her!" And then the ending was all very tidy and smooth and it just didn't feel right to me.

But, I did love many other things about Boundless. I loved that Clara was able to connect more with her Father and I loved that she grew stronger in her angel skills and I actually teared up with the Samjeeza story line -- definitely a very good subplot throughout the series and I was satisfied with how it played out.

Overall, I'd still recommend this series, but it didn't end as well as I had hoped. So I'll only be giving it...


                                                              4 out of 5 Hello Kitties!


1 comment

  1. Your complaint is also mine. I mean, this book focused SO MUCH on the one guy and it went the other way. It made me sad, even if I liked the one she ended up with. That was my only gripe with this last book but a remarkable series. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete