Friday, August 5, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Release Date: April 9th 2009
Publisher: Dutton
Page Count: Paperback, 199 pages
Genre: Young Adult, Emotional

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make -and the ultimate choice Mia commands - Good Reads


Pfft, my eyes are still red from crying. What an emotional read! I'd seen this book mentioned before, but never got around to reading it. After stumbling upon a mention of the second book Where She Went last night and then reading some reviews I decided to pick up the first book at the library this morning. I'm glad I did.

As soon as I begun to read the book I fell in love with Mia and her family. The opening scene of the book was powerful in the bonding sort of way. I felt like I knew them. I identified with them. I cared about them. It almost felt like I was intruding on another families personal moments. A real family. All of the characters in the book were well rounded and their interests and personalities seemed realistic. Down to the Grandmother who believes in angels. 

Normally I don't care for books written in the style If I Stay was written. I like first person when it used well, but excessive amounts of flashbacks can get annoying. It didn't bother me at all in this book. I wanted to know Mia and her family more. And somehow for this book it just clicked.

By the end of the book I kept having to wipe away my tears so I could actually see to finish it. And with the way this one ended so abruptly - I can't wait to read Where She Went. Too bad somebody has it checked out right now. Arrrrgh!
 
This definitely was a touching book and I would recommend this to a lot of people.




No comments:

Post a Comment